By now we all know what social distancing is, but many of us don't know the potential impacts. The symptoms of social distancing can look different from person to person, and include fear and anxiety, depression and boredom, stigmatization, and anger, frustration, and irritability. One way to help keep those symptoms at bay is to find creative ways to celebrate and have fun.
Here are a few ways to think outside of the box while celebrating during a pandemic.
- Tune into streaming events
- Check out the websites of nearby organizations and non-profits to see what online options are being held in place of an in-person event.
- Involve elderly and distant relatives
- Make sure elderly and distant relatives feel included despite being quarantined. Send cards, care packages, video chat, or call to let them know you care.
- Celebrate creatively
- Host a contest for the person with the most festive outfit or a trivia game related to the holiday.
- Video chat holiday meals
- Get the whole family involved and dine over video chat. Remember, structure the conversation to avoid everyone talking at once.
- Let the kids decorate the house
- Decorating the house can be a fun activity to keep kids decorated and add a little razzle dazzle to your home.
These activities will help lessen the impact of social distancing, while maintaining the holiday spirit.
For those who need a little extra help, NexGen EAP is here to help. NexGen EAP is a total wellbeing benefit that is available 24/7/365, confidential and HIPPA compliant. The EAP line is always answered by licensed mental health professionals who are ready to help.
To learn more about NexGen EAP and how it can improve your organization, contact us today!